1732DS ArmorBlock Guard I/OGuard I/O Modules Overview
Control and monitor your safety devices with Guard I/O. When used with Rockwell Automation safety controllers, Guard I/O communicates on EtherNet/IP or DeviceNet using CIP Safety protocol. As an effective technology, Guard I/O detects failures at the I/O and field device level, while helping enhance operator protection.
CompactBlock Guard I/O modules are available in IP20 (in-cabinet) form factor. ArmorBlock Guard I/O modules are IP64, IP65, or IP67 (on-machine) form factor (as marked on the product label). POINT Guard I/O provides maximum I/O density in minimal panel space.
Guard I/O modules offer the following advantages when implementing a safety control system:
- Reduced engineering — Onboard, Guard I/O has self-diagnostics, hardware testing, and field circuit testing (short-circuit, wire break, discrepancy) with no additional programming required.
- Cost-reduced hardware options — Helps increase ability to safely shutdown an application without additional safety relays.
- Space-savings — Monitor and control more safety devices using less panel space.
- Use of existing network infrastructures — Connect to standard and safety I/O over one DeviceNet or EtherNet/IP network.
- Flexibility and easy migration to EtherNet/IP — The same Guard I/O modules for both DeviceNet and EtherNet/IP networks lets you re-use engineering designs.
- High safety level — certified by TÜV for Functional Safety up to SIL 3 and PLe/Category 4.
|CompactBlock Guard I/O Modules||ArmorBlock Guard I/O Modules||POINT Guard I/O Modules|
|Description||Cost-effective block I/O for use in an enclosure.||Cost-effective block I/O with IP67 protection for use on the machine.||Cost-effective I/O modules provide maximum I/O density in minimum panel space.|
|Digital Safety Inputs||Up to 16 channels||Up to 8 channels||Up to 8 channels|
|Digital Safety Outputs||Up to 8 channels||Up to 4 channels||Up to 8 channels|
|Safety Relays||Up to 4 channels||No||No|
|High Current Capacity Outputs||Up to 2 amps per channel||Up to 2 amps per channel||Up to 1 amp per channel|
|Use in Hazardous Areas||UL Listed for Class I, Division 2 Group A,B,C,D||No||UL Listed for Class I, Division 2 Group A,B,C,D; ATEX|
|Interface Module||1756-DNB, 1752||1756-DNB, 1752||1734-PDN|
|Interface Module||1756-ENBT, 1756-EN2T, 1756-EN2F||Not available||1734-AENT, 1734-AENTR|
|Bulletin Number||1791ES||Not available||1734|
Common Guard I/O Module features:
- Integrated pulse test outputs for testing safety circuitry like e-stops and gate switches, for use in applications up to Performance Level e/Category 4. These outputs can also be used independently for standard output control or voltage source to sensors.
- Safety outputs, with integrated pulse testing for use in applications up to PLe, Cat.4.
- Ability to detect at each I/O point:
- short-circuit to 24V DC or 0V
- wire breakage
- discrepancy of dual channel circuitry, due to mechanical alignment or a failure
- short-circuit to 24V DC or 0V
- All Guard I/O modules have common circuit functionality, operation, programming, troubleshooting, and diagnostics.
- Built in diagnostic LEDs for I/O circuitry and power status.
- I/O point status available to any controller.
- EDS file or Logix 5000 profile compatible.
- Removable and keyed terminal blocks.
- Common power and I/O wiring across Guard I/O modules on DeviceNet and EtherNet/IP networks (1791DS-IB16/1791ES-IB16 and 1791DS-IB8XOBV4/1791ES-IB8XOBV4).
- Safety input power source separate from safety output power source.
- Removable and insertable under power, when following appropriate safety practices.
- Electronic overcurrent protection of all outputs.
The above example network shows how almost any 24V DC safety-rated or standard sensor can be wired to any Guard I/O module to monitor the machines status.
Choosing Your I/O Hardware
Guard I/O module options are available to minimize associated safety hardware. Additionally, installation costs, wiring time, and commissioning time can be further reduced when using ArmorBlock Guard I/O, as shown in the example below with a light curtain muting application.
A variety of CompactBlock Guard I/O is available to suit most every need.
- 1791DS-IB8XOB8 Module. This module has up to 8 single channel safety inputs and 8 single channel safety outputs. It is often the universally chosen Guard I/O hardware for almost every application. Whether you need single or dual channel safety input or safety output circuits, the 1791DSIB8XOB8 module is a good choice.
- 1791DS-IB4XOW4 Module. This module has up to 4 single channel safety inputs and 4 single channel (replaceable) safety relay outputs. This module is often chosen for AC actuators or specialty safety interface applications. Whether you need single or dual-channel safety input or safety output circuits, the 1791DS-IB4XOW4 module is a good choice.
- 1791DS-IB8XOBV4 or 1791ES-IB8XOBV4 Modules. These modules have up to 8 single channel safety inputs and 4 dual channel sink/source safety outputs, also know as bipolar or two-pole switching. They are often chosen for safety actuators that require more than 0.5 amps. For example, the control of press safety valves or control of the solenoid on a guard-locking switch like the Atlas or Trojan safety products. Whether you need single or dual channel safety input circuits and dual channel safety outputs, the 1791DS-IB8XOBV4 or 1791ES-IB8XOBV4 module will suit most any application.
- 1791DS-IB16 or 1791ES-IB16 Modules. These modules have up to 16 single channel safety inputs. They are the universal choice of Guard I/O hardware when an application calls for the monitoring of many safety devices in one central location. When your safety application requires 2 safety mats, 2 run stations with 2 e-stops, or any similar configuration, these modules are an excellent and economical choice for every programmable safety system.