EtherNet/IP Network OverviewEtherNet/IP Network Overview
The EtherNet/IP network offers a full suite of control, configuration, and data collection services by layering the Common Industrial Protocol over the standard protocols used by the Internet (TCP/IP and UDP). EtherNet/IP uses TCP/IP for general messaging/information exchange services and UDP/IP for I/O messaging services for control applications. This combination of well-accepted standards provides the functionality required to support both information data exchange as well as control applications.
Another key feature of EtherNet/IP is that it uses commercial, off-the-shelf Ethernet components and physical media. This provides a cost-effective plant floor solution using a familiar and well-understood infrastructure.
The EtherNet/IP network is most often used in these types of configurations:
- as an economical solution for connecting many computers
- as the best choice when you want to connect many devices
- as the standard network for connectivity to enterprise systems
- as the least expensive HMI option when used with PanelView Plus
- in a star topology when nodes are grouped closely together
Rockwell Automation offers a full array of EtherNet/IP products, including controllers, I/O, operator interfaces, drives, and software. We have the products and know-how you need to set up a new EtherNet/IP system, and the products and innovations you need to maintain and grow your existing applications.
- Worldwide acceptance of Ethernet products.
- Openness of EtherNet/IP and NetLinx architecture.
- Support of both 10 and 100 Mbps products.
- Products with built-in web server capability.